Built in 1912 by Russian workers who emigrated to Bulgaria, it was erected to be the church of the Russian community in Sofia. Today the Church of St. Nicholas is one of the most beautiful Orthodox churches in the capital.
The temple is located in the city centre, at the junction of Benkovski Street and the busy Tzar Osvboditel Boulevard.
In a style inspired by 17th century Russian churches, the five gold-covered outer domes stand out. The interior is decorated with paintings and icons.