Sofia International Airport (IATA: SOF, ICAO: LBSF) is located 6 kilometres from the centre of the capital and with 3,500,000 passengers in 2011 is the busiest airport in Bulgaria.
It has two terminals located in different buildings that are connected by a free bus service that runs between them every half hour and stops at the entrance of each of the buildings.
- Terminal 1 is for low-cost airlines and charter flights.
- Terminal 2 was inaugurated in 2006 and the rest of the companies operate there.
Book your flight to Sofia on our Sofia flight search engine.
Airlines operating at Sofia airport
Sofia has a good network of international air links and connections to other European capitals.
Some of the companies operating at Sofia airport:
- Air France
- Bulgaria Air
- Air Berlin
- British Airways
Transfers from the airport to Sofia city centre
When leaving the airport it is common to find pirate taxis offering to take you to the city centre. For safety and security reasons, it is advisable to use authorised transport and, above all, the fact that you will be charged more for going to the centre.
- City buses: 84 and 384 run between the airport and the centre of Sofia every half hour and the journey takes about 30 minutes. The price of the ticket is 1 Leva (0,5 €).
- The taxi company “OK Supertrans” is authorised to operate at Sofia airport. The price to the centre is about 10 Leva (about €5).
- Several car rental companies operate at the airport.
- If you drive to the airport by private car, parking costs 3 Leva per hour (1.5 €) and one day costs 30 Leva (15 €).